Interested in joining us?
We rehearse Monday evenings from 7-9p at the Mesquite Arts Center. We would love to have you join us!
History of the Mesquite Community Band
Community bands have been in existence in Mesquite for quite some time. A picture from 1902 reveals some prominent figures in Mesquite playing in a community band. The band consisted of only sixteen musicians which included Sneed Kimbrough (R.S. Kimbrough Middle School) on clarinet, Ernst Gross (Gross Road) on clarinet, and E.V. Paschall (Paschall Park) on trumpet.
The Mesquite Community Band became an official organization in 1986. The first board meeting was held on February 24, 1986. Charter members of the band are James Edwards, Chris George, Lex and Lynn Grantham, Elizabeth Massey, Cecelia Riggle, and Caryl Semmler. The first rehearsal was held in the North Mesquite High School band hall on April 6, 1986. The first performance was held at City Junction Jamboree on June 7, 1986. John Kline, former band director for North Mesquite High School and Fine Arts Director for MISD, directed the band. In 1989, the baton was passed on to Alton Polk. Alton was the band director for Mesquite High School from 1965 to 1989. In 1995, Dale Y. Coates was named as the new director of the band. On April 15, 1995, Dale directed his first concert with the Mesquite Community Band at Mesquite Country Church. Dale is also a former band director for both private and public schools.
The band is made up of volunteer musicians from high school through retirement age. The band has performed for numerous events and in many different venues, some of which include the Mesquite Hot Air Balloon Festival, the Mesquite Air Show, the North Texas Area Community Band Extravaganza, the Mesquite July 4th Celebration, Civic Expressions, dedication ceremonies, park concerts, and several local retirement homes.